- Brett “Cranky Flier” Snyder has an excellent post at BNET on Southwest Airlines’ uncharacteristic social media silence as it experienced a major computer meltdown. If you scroll down to the end of the post, it recommends other posts Brett wrote. And guess what was at the top of the list? “Southwest Loses Its Social Media Guru, All Eyes on the Transition.” He follows up today with Southwest’s response: It Didn’t Want to Make Things Worse. What??
- My Aviation Week colleague Guy Norris is over at our Things With Wings blog with all the latest — including video and pictures — on Boeing’s 787 and 747-8I programs.
- My colleague Fred George of Business & Commercial Aviation blogs over at Business Aviation Now about how the recession has hurt research and development for OEMs.
- Peter Sanders of the Wall Street Journal writes about the end of an era as Japan Airlines retires its last Boeing 747 (my favorite plane).
- My last pick is Mary “Runway Girl” Kirby with a great story on how airline marketing videos go viral — complete with videos — for Airline Business magazine.
And be have a plane full of crazy in this week’s Strange But True Aviation News over at AvWeek’s Things With Wings blog, with an aircraft robbery that went down the toilet (literally), more TSA screeners with screening problems and a wicked case of bedbugs on the World’s Favourite Airline. Enjoy, and remember-I can’t make this stuff up, kids!