- We’ve all heard about the sleeping air traffic controllers, but did you hear about the one who was suspended — because he was watching a movie? My Aviation Week colleague Darren Shannon writes about it here.
- The Consumer Traveler website offers us “Ned’s top 10 airplane luggage myths.” Number one made me laugh out loud.
- Speaking of luggage, Cranky Flier has a cool post on how Delta Air Lines can now track your bags in real time. It looks like the screen you use to track your FedEx packages.
- Gary Stoller of USA Today asks the question that many of us have known for a long time: “Are frequent-flier programs losing their luster?”
- The Up Up and a Gay blog tapped into one of my secret fears — airline lavatories. I would rather hold it until it’s leaking from my ears (sorry for the graphic description) before I use an airline lav — and that includes international flights. It was always a general thing with me and public restrooms, but a visit to American Airlines’ maintenance facility where, among other things, they clean lavs, was just too much for me. Ewwww!!!
- And here’s your bonus! The Runway Girl blog has an interesting post about new technology from GuestLogix and Pokeware where “if you see something you like in a piece of video content, you can poke it to learn more about the product, and if you still like it you can buy it.”
I would be remiss if I didn’t point you to this week’s Airplane Geeks podcast, which featured a great interview with Igor Sikorsky III. I knew that his grandfather was a helicopter pioneer, but had no idea of his impact on commercial aviation. Did you know he designed the Flying Boats used by Pan Am back in the day? And I make it into the listener mail segment toward the end of the show, talking about my views on car seats for children on airplanes (I’m 100% for it).
Of course, it would NOT be Friday without the amusement park I like to call Strange But True Aviation News. And remember–I can’t make this stuff up!!
And here’s your video this week — it’s a time-lapse video of Turkey’s Istanbul Atatürk Airport. Enjoy!