I have a friend who’s getting ready to go on an around-the-world trip, lucky girl. My envy of her wraps around me like a cheap perfume. But I digress.
She asked me to offer up some must-have items to put in her luggage as she begins her journey. So below are some things I never leave home without, especially when I’m leaving the country.
- RFID Block Passport Holder — I got a new passport late last year. New U.S. passports now have an RFID chip that holds biometric and other information about you. This wallet keeps others from reading the information on your chip.
- Noise cancelling headphones — I take these on all flights to cut the ambient engine noise. They also come in handy when you’re in a noisy hotel room, train or bus.
- iPhone — you need to check on settings to keep the usage fees down, but for apps like Google Translate, your smartphone is a godsend.
- Thumb drive — on this, I keep a copy of my passport, key emergency phone number and necessary prescriptions.
- Universal adapter — we all have to carry our electronics, and different countries have different outlets. So having one of these puppies ensures you don’t get gouged when buying one in the country you’re in.
What did I miss? What is your can’t-travel-without-this item?